BA in Anthropology/Sociology - Sociology Track
- Lower division university core requirements or (for transfer students) general education requirements
- CLAS requirement
- A minimum of 120 credits hours
- The final 30 credits must be taken at FIU (with exceptions requiring the approval of the Dean’s office)
- GPA 2.0 or higher
Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs Requirements
- A minimum of 48 credit hours of upper division courses
- A minimum of 9 credit hours of upper division courses outside the Major.
- A grade of “C” or higher in each major course
- Foreign language: equivalent of a second semester sequence foreign language course or one more advanced. (with a minimum grade of C).
Sociology Track Requirements
Lower Division (3 credits)
- SYG 2000 – Introduction to Sociology
Core Courses (15 credits)
- SYP 3456 – Societies in the World
- SYA 3300 – Research Methods
- SYA 4010 – Sociological Theories
- SYA 4011 – Social Theory
- SYA 3400 - Introduction to Quantitative Social Research
Upper Division Department Electives (12 credits; must be 3000-level or higher)
- Two additional upper-division sociology courses (SYA/SYD/SYG/SYO/SYP)
- One upper-division anthropology course (ANT)
- One upper-division geography course(GEA/GEO) - GEO 3510, Earth Resources, offered by the Department of Earth & Environment, is a natural sciences course that cannot be taken to fulfill this requirement.
Other Electives (30 credits)
A Minimum of 9 credits must be taken outside the Major. A minimum of 18 credits must be upper division (3000-level or higher).
Option: Please consider applying the upper division major courses (required and elective) to a second major in Geography, a minor in Geography, or a certificate program.