Frequently Asked Questions

What will I learn, and what citizenship and career skills will I gain?

  • You'll learn to apply theoretical perspectives and research methods to understand how cultures, societies, and territories/places shape the world's issues, problems, and prospects.
  • You'll learn to think conceptually in terms of theoretical perspectives: What aspects of cultures, societies, and territories/places are most important and why? How do they fit together to shape the world's issues, problems, and prospects?
  • You'll learn to link theoretical perspectives with research methods—for example, surveys, ethnographies, computer-based mapping programs, and ways to evaluate policy programs. You'll thereby learn to conceptualize, collect, and analyze diverse kinds of data.
  • You'll learn to express yourself effectively in both written and oral communication.
  • You'll learn to work independently as well as part of a team.
  • We are a core department in the Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs, whose opportunities provide further preparation for career, community, and life in a globalizing world.

How do I declare (or change) a major, a double major, or a minor?

  • For assistance, please attend Drop-in Advising. Drop-in Advising allows students to access an advisor for 10-minute advising sessions on a first-come, first-serve basis. For dates, times, and instructions, please see
  • If you have a GSS second major or minor, please attend Drop-in Advising. Drop-in Advising allows students to access an advisor for 10-minute advising sessions on a first-come, first-serve basis. For dates, times, and instructions, please see

  • Please be sure that the staff obtains and lists your email address on the Department's undergraduate student listserv; and your preferred personal email.
  • Don't forget to obtain information about membership in the following: the Department's GSS Undergraduate Studies Club; Alpha Kappa Delta International Honor Society (for Sociology track majors); Lambda Alpha National Honor Society (for Anthropology track majors), Gamma Theta Upsilon Honor Society (for Geography majors),and Phi Beta Kappa National Honors Society (for students in all FIU majors).
  • The Department will assign you a faculty advisor, who will orient you to the GSS programs and associated opportunities.
  • From that point onward, your principal advising contact will be with your faculty advisor. Faculty office locations, office hours, and email addresses are listed on the Department's website under People/Faculty.

How can I meet with an advisor? 

How can I make an advising appointment?

  • Your faculty advisor: Dr. Ricardo Gonzalez, Undergraduate Academic Advisor and Grey Fernandez, Academic Advisor. Please check the faculty member's office location, office hours, and email address on the Department website (People/Faculty).
    • What if I can't come during my advisor's scheduled office hours? Please email advisor to schedule an alternative time (305-348-2247). Advisor's email address can be found on the department website (People/Faculty).
  • GSS Undergraduate Program Director, Dr. Douglas Kincaid, SIPA 333: Please contact Dr. Kincaid for appointment. BBC students may find it convenient to conduct such appointments by telephone.
  • SIPA

What certificate programs are available, and how do I enroll in a certificate program?

  • A list of certificate programs associated with the Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs is available here. Other certificate programs are listed in the FIU Catalog here (please scroll down the page).
  • Download "Certificate Program Application" from the Office of the Registrar website.
  • Bring the form to the staff of the Department, Center, or Institute responsible for the specific certificate program, and leave the competed form with the staff.
  • Completion of the certificate program will be indicated on your FIU transcript. It will not be indicated on your diploma, but you will receive a certificate of completion from the specific certificate program.

Are there internship opportunities?

  • Dr. Richard Tardanico will describe to you the variety of internship opportunities.
  • SYA 3949 is an internship course (3 credits) that can be taken for major or minor elective credit in coordination with your internship service.
  • In SYA 3949 you’ll write a major research paper concerning your internship work.

How do I join the Department's Undergraduate Student Association?

  • Please contact the Association Department's faculty advisor, Dr. Derrick Scott (305)-348-2247; Derrick Scott.

How do I request a CLAST exemption or course repeat (forgiveness), and obtain other forms as well as an FIU transcript?

  • Please click the links for such items located on the Office of the Registrar website.